Old 09-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
The new light may work. My rosemary bushes live outside (Zone 7) all
year. Be extra careful about overwatering, quick drainage, and no
fertilizer. You could also try to start new plants from cuttings (I
got 4 successful rootings from 7 cuttings). Generally cuttings will
root well under fluorescent lighting.

I may have overwatered and over fertilized too. During the summer months
the Rosemary flourished with lots of water. I probably should not have
watered it when I brought it inside. I also didn't know about the
fertilizer since I gave it a dose of Miracle Grow to help it transition
which now appears to have been exactly the wrong thing to do. Actually,
I shouldn't have brought it in so soon. Before bringing it in it was
extremely healthy and I considered it one of the nicest plants in my
garden. I successfully started two cuttings over the summer and they're
doing well outside. I left them out since I worried more about my big
Rosemary and ultimately ended up killing it (well it's circulating down
the drain now). I guess live and learn. These Rosemary plants grow very
slowly BTW. Now that the temps are really starting to get into the
freeze zone here in Chicago I'll be bringing the little Rosemaries in and
putting them under fluorescents for winter. Maybe next summer one of
them will graduate to the big pot that their mother lived in (unless a
miracle happens and it recovers).