Old 09-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Allan

In article ,
says...
Another thing, are using standard returns for your pumps and filters? Or
have you made underwater spray bars for the returns like you need to use
with co2? You have a large surface area on that tank to dissapate the co2
into the atmosphere. If the pump returns are at the top it could be causing
a lot of the co2 to dissapate. Is the surface being agitated any all? Any
ripples? It should look smooth like glass to keep the co2 in best.

The returns are under water and the surface is not agitated at all. In
addition, the top is covered with glass panels (though I doubt this has
much effect on retaining any CO2 lost at the surface).

Oh, and regarding the light, it seems to me that it is a fine line to cross
as to whether co2 or light first. Your plants can't use the co2 if there
isn't enough light. And it seems to me that 40W on a 180 gallon tank isn't
enough to grow even the easiest plants. Personally I think you should have
gotten the lights first considering the paltry lights you currently have.
Something like the 72" strip on this page with 6-96W bulbs ;o)

I hope to have the lighting system in place by this weekend - I'm going
to try overdriving some NO lighting.

Thanks for the comments.