Old 09-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Gene Schurg

Sarah,

Last fall I bought a fertilizer injector for my greenhouse.

When I mix the concentrate that is sucked into the water when the hose is
turned on I usually have some extra concentrate left when I finish watering.
For the last year I have been using the what remains in the bucket to be
sucked into the hose when I mist the plants.

Since I've been doing this I see a huge difference in the mounted plants and
vandas. The root development on the vandas is better than I've ever seen.
In years past I was not too good about fertilizing my vandas regularly so
I'm sure they are pleased to get regular feeding. The other mounts look
good. Most of them are winter bloomers and I expect better flowers this year
since the plants are more robust.

The Dendrobiums in clay pots are looking really good this year. I could say
it's the misting with fertilizer water or it could be that I've given them
more attention this year. Most of them were seedlings two years ago and may
just have begun to really grow up. I'll say its the water.

I can't say I see much difference in the big oncidium types, the paphs, or
phals. I don't see anything bad from the water and fertilizer mist.

In a long winded email I guess my advise is mist the stuff with roots out of
the pot with fertilized water and the other stuff don't go out of your way
to do it.

Small print: The above is purely personal observation and has no basis in
scientific fact. It just worked for me during the previous 12 months and
subject to change if I observe something different.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi all!

Are there benefits to misting with mildly fertilized water as opposed to
plain water? I live in a very dry climate so I mist every day.

Thanks!

Sarah