Old 09-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Bill Litchfield said:

Busy shredding a huge mountain of leaves to use as mulch and mostly in a
huge compost pile. There are a few English Walnut leaves. Now, somewhere I
either read or heard that Black Walnut leaves were toxic to garden plants
and shouldn't be used for either mulch or in compost. Is that true? Or is
the English Walnut a baddie too?

I bring back leaves from all over the neighborhood, which inevitably includes
some black walnut leaves. I've never had any problems. It's my understanding
that the roots release juglone. I suspect that the leaves contain minimal amounts
(if any). I useThe leaves for mulch as well as composting.

(attributed to Don Marti)