Old 09-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Franz Heymann

"Gary" wrote in message
Hello
This is for all you avid composters out there. I compost lots

(from
neighbours, my own kitchen waste and several local restaurants) but

I found
a magnificent effort being done in San Francisco, USA. I can't

provide the
site but I can give you something to do a search on the WWW. Do a

search for
Jepson Prairie Organics. Their site will give you plenty of links to

check
out. Should you not be able to find the site, post a message in this

thread
and I will find out what it is. I was so excited about this, that I

just
wanted to pass the information on to you all.
As an intro:
A quote from the San Francisco Examiner, written by Jo
Stanley/Staff Writer, dated Sept 2/04:
"Every day, four or five 18-wheelers (a very large lorry) head

north
from San Francisco carrying a precious but unusual cargo: 300 tons

of food
scraps headed for a giant composting plant in...."
I am excited about the participation level and, more

importantly, the
results! Composting does seem to work...really, really well! And the

plants
and worms love it.

This is a growing activity in the UK and has now been put in practice
by the appropriate authorities in most cities and many towns. I
obtain most of my compost from my local council.

Franz