Old 05-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Craig Cowing

dalecochoy wrote:

snip

That's why bonsai soil is $30-60 a bag!! I'd
sooner shot myself in the foot than pay that!! When the day comes that I
can't mix up my own soil....It'll be time to drop out of bonsai :)
Regards,
Dale

I've been using a product from Quickrete called "Patio Paver Sand" which I found at
Home Depot. A 50 lb. bag is something like $4 or so. It is a fine gravel used for
putting under patio bricks. Sifting it out I lose maybe 25-30%. The remaining
gravel has sharp edges (I know that's not established as a plus) and is a pleasing
gray color. I think the stone is probably slate or basalt. I'd recommend it as a
good, useful and inexpensive inorganic component fo bonsai soil to be used in
conjunction with Turface.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
Back safe on the east coast where the ocean is on the right side.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++