Old 09-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Stephen M. Henning

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

I bring back leaves from all over the neighborhood, which inevitably includes
some black walnut leaves. I've never had any problems. It's my
understanding
that the roots release juglone. I suspect that the leaves contain minimal
amounts (if any). I useThe leaves for mulch as well as composting.

All parts of black walnut trees contain juglone and can cause problems.
The highest concentration is in the roots and the soil near the roots.
You are probably not getting many black walnut leaves. My experience in
Pennsylvania is that the black walnuts are the first to shed their
leaves, much earlier than any other trees. By the end of summer most
walnut leaves have fallen. Then come down over a long period of time.
When the main mass of other leaves fall, the black walnut leaves are
gone, either from mowing and being mulched or have blown away.