Old 09-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:42:59 -0600, kate
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:17:39 -0500, Dan wrote:

Does anyone know when the upright variety of rosemary starts
sprouting flowers? This one is 1 1/2 years old, 3 ft tall but no
flowers yet.

The flowers aren't a prominent feature of rosemary. I've never noticed
if a plant had to be a certain age to produce flowers -- the rather
inconspicuous lavender flowers appear randomly in the foliage in
spring, I believe.

My one year old rosemary has yet to bloom, but the three year old
bloomed for the first time this spring and is blooming again now. I'm in
zone 6, TN, so I'm lucky to be able to keep them in the ground year
round. (The aloes and the bay laurel need to come in soon though.)

I just ran outside and moved my Rosemary (in a pot) to the west side
of the house against a brick wall. Previous plant (in the ground) did
very well there for 15 yrs or so before succumbing to a disease.
Freeze warning tonight for SE Virginia.

I saw some Forsythia with a few blooms the other morning. Perhaps on a
similar schedule as your Rosemary. :-)