Old 09-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Neil) contains these words:

As this was originally about lawn mushrooms and what follows is
undiluted science I offer an apolgy for being a little off topic and
indigestible but I think the ungarnished science is a salutary
reminder. There is no magic serum or curative treatment just some that
tip the odds more in your favour. The following is the current
published medical data and basically the treatment for Amanita
poisoning is that which any big hopsital with a renal unit ,
transfusion unit and ITU would offer. The last resort is a liver
transplant. with lifelong immunosupression to follow.

Your quotes omitted one of the most effective adjuncts to the drug
therapy - sugar.

Larger than normal intake of sugars can tip the balance between survival
or thud!: if they can be kept down. Treatment should include
intravenous injection of 20 ml glucose in normal saline solution, four
or five times a day.

Mushrooms and Toadstools - Dr. John Ramsbottom, Collins NewNaturalist
Series, Ch 5, Poisonous and Edible Fungi: 1

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/