Old 07-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Jim Lewis

-----Original Message-----
From: Internet Bonsai Club ] On Behalf Of
Henrik Gistvall

What has been the problem with the airlayering? I´m planning an airlayer
this spring on a basic A palmatum. Was an dissectum graft but it died
back. Three suckers developed from the base and I have trained it like a
multi trunk. Now I need to airlayer it. Any tips for success? (I might
add that rooting hormones is illegal in Sweden so I have to do without).

Then, on 7 Nov 2004 at 10:51, MartyWeiser wrote:

I agree with Jim about the length of the growing season being

an issue. I also find keeping them at the right moisture level
to be a potential problem.

And, also on 7 Nov 2004, I write:

I did no extra watering. I used FRESHLY harvested sphagnum moss
and wrapped it dripping wet in heavy plastic. I figured with
the fairly frequent rains we get it would stay damp enough. I
seem to have been right. (I've never had a layer dry out,
however.)

Then, reading my newest book, "Pocket Bonsai," which, generally
speaking, is the exception that proves the rule in the accuracy
of the horticultural info presented (in a book on Bonsai), I
read in the section on air layering:

"Don't worry about the moss drying out: as the new roots take in
moisture, the xylem remains active and will be continually
pumping water into the moss!" (!?)

I'm not at all sure what this xylem pump is doing BEFORE roots
form, but maybe this is one of the reasons my moss says damp
enough. (?)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++