Old 05-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Dave Gillingham

Gramma, I think I must have missed your original post on this.

In passing to other readers, I do find thread followups sometimes
where I'll swear I have never seen the original posting on Optusnet's
news server. So, if I appear to have ignored someone, please post
again or email rather than swearing at me.

To the topic: I grow my plants outdoors (Brissie is better than
Melbourne that way :-) ) So I have no option but to use a regular
spray regime, with sprays our o/s friends would probably frown on.

For insects, I suggest malathion and carbaryl alternated (to minimise
resistance in the pests) applied fortnightly. Up here the dendrobium
beetle is a serious problem, & its appetite is far broader than just
dendrobes. The beetle eats the foliage then lays in the growing tips
of new shoots, into which the larvae burrow & chew. Kills the new
growth.

I also try to spray monthly with fungicide - up here black spot seems
a particular problem.

Keep an eye out for phytoxicity - ie the sprays may damage the plants
- usually cause the leaf tips to brown as a first sign.

Not sure how our pests will compare with yours down there. Probably
yet more questions to ask at your next show!

All the best!

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:37:03 -0800, "wendy7"
wrote:

Hi Gramma, Just noticed that no body has answered.
Could be aphids, slugs, grasshoppers or some type of worm???
You could spray with soapy water & alcohol.
I would move that plant away from the others just to be
on the safe side.

Dave Gillingham