Old 05-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Derek Broughton

george wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

That's how I read it, too. I have fortunately never had to catch a fish
in my large pond, but I learned long ago, with aquariums, that it's a
whole lot less stress on both me and my fish to do the herding trick into
an appropriate sized container.

As far as my aquarium fish, I've always netted them and have never had a
problem
with it. They've never seemed to be the worse for the wear,

Well, sure... I never see them use the two-liter pop bottle trick in the
aquarium store either, but they're better at netting than I've ever
been :-)
If you don't have a problem netting them, then that's fine. If you spend
more than a couple of minutes chasing a fish with a net, then you need
another method.

A pond, however, is a different
story altogether. There is too much space to be chasing them around in.
and that will stress them more than the netting itself will.

That was the point I was trying to make. There's nothing inherently wrong
with using a net.

Of course, if you have fish as old as my maroon
clown female (13-14 yrs), she has given up on running, and actually will
swim right into the net.

_that_ certainly cuts down on the stress!
--
derek