Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
bigboard

gasdoctor wrote:

bigboard Wrote:
gasdoctor wrote:
You will get a crop from a single, self-fertile tree. It is said,
although I
don't speak from personal experience, that you'll get a heavier crop
from a
self-fertile tree if it is pollinated by pollen from a different
individual
tree.

--

My garden is south facing, so should get plenty of sun shine

The trees will have to be free standing (not against a wall)

I want them to to have an ornamental element to them as well as
producing a crop. I love trees. (not in a tree hugging sense though)

The garden is ~50' by ~70' (i think)

Im only interested in desert types.

Thoughts:

- grow two apple trees (?most reliable and foolproof)

- grow two plums (?high risk of total failure)

-grow a self fertile plum and apple (one might work), adding in an
apple in a pot if pollination problems or ?artificial pollination.

Juat a quick thought. Do any of your neighbours have fruit trees?
Pollinators don't have to be in your garden!

--
If at first you don't succeed, give up, no use being a damn fool.