Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Saffy" writes:
| "Mike" wrote in message
|
| If fruit drops onto a neighbours land it is theirs to keep. How come the
| football coming onto their land isn't?
|
| I read recently that windfall apples belong to the owner of the tree even if
| they fall on someone elses land. You are not obliged to let on your land to
| pick them u however but you can't legally keep them yourself.

That is supposed to be so, and the police are exceeding their powers
when they order people to hand things back. However, because you
are not allowed to keep your neighbour's things that fall on your
land, you can't even pick them up!

A reasonable compromise to an excessive number of balls flying over
is to refuse to stop what you are doing to return them or enable
access, and to tell them to come back at a time of your choosing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.