Old 10-11-2004, 04:31 PM
David WE Roberts

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:22:40 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:

| Bloke in a pub (well, bloke working on the drive next door) said he had
| heard that we were due for the worst winter in 100 years.

It was the worst winter THIS CENTURY - i.e. since 2001.

| May know what he is on about as he used to work for Notcutts so at least
| he should be a little in tune with nature.
|
| He is also laying block paving and stuff so the quality of the winter has
| a major effect on his business.

Neither are particularly good qualifications for weather prediction.
Real traditionalists say that the art of prediction has gone down
the tube ever since this country gave up human sacrifice, and who
are we to argue with them?

Hmmm....we are still in prime spot for the best worst year/decade etc. for
this century.

What was your source for 'worst this century'?

[Unless you know the bloke doing the drive next door, of course :-) ]

I wasn't suggesting he was a good weather predictor - rather that he had a
keener interest in locating long term reliable forecasts than most.

I can believe we could be in for a strange winter, as we have had a very
odd summer (this part of the country) with more precipitation and less sun.

More to the point, what should I do with my Olive?

Cheers

Dave R