Old 10-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:59:23 +0000, David WE Roberts
wrote:

Over a normal winter I would expect to leave it outside, but long term
harsh conditions may not suit it.

I have the option to:

bring it into the sun lounge at the first forecast of really nasty weather
bring it in when the nasty weather starts
bring it in now (and subject it to occasional burst of warmth on sunny
days)

David, how big is your olive tree, and how big its pot.
Mine has been outdoors for the last few winters. It's in a 10 inch pot
and is 20 years old, but I cut it back to about 15 - 18 inches each
winter so it will fit under a covered shelf next to the house and it
is therefore kept dry. I have also tried wrapping the pot in bubble
wrap and the tree in fleece. As I have no greenhouse or sunroom, the
only other option is to bring it in to my living room. I would only do
this if we had severe weather.
I do the same with a pomegranate, and now have a fig to cope with
also!
I'm sure they would be happier with a sunroom or cold greenhouse, but
in my case, needs must!

Pam in Bristol