Old 04-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Theo

Nikotine is very toxic for many living organisms
like chlorine for life in general
if you use nicotine on aphids it works well if you use chlorine you
kill aphids and plant

so fungi live evyrwhere some of them are sensible to some
chemicals some are not and needs others chemicals
like deseases you do not cure eveyrthing with the same antibiotic..
as simple as that
and anyway teh concentration of teh alkalod has its impotace
bitter alamonds contains cianure
if you eat one or few you do not die
if you eat a kilo probably you will get poisoned

Anil Kaushik wrote:

How someone got influenced with the African myth *known fact in Africa, that
it keeps insects and fungi away*? There is a big tobacco industry in India,
and I have seen tobacco leave infected with insects and diseased and of
course fungi between the leaves. That remind me of divination of Science
which I crammed during my school days..... "Systematic study of living and
non-living matter observed and verified by experiments".

All dried leaves whether those of tobacco or tea, in fact most organic
matter, when soaked in water at a particular temperature, releases most of
the soluble ingredients whether it is NICOTINE or CAFFENE and also some
pleasant or unpleasant flavor or smell.

All said and done, I don't think there is need of tinkering with Cigarette
butts and other unscientific practices for humus/buffer for moisture
retention.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"