Old 10-11-2004, 05:40 PM
JennyC

"Martin Sykes" wrote
"David WE Roberts" wrote
My issue is my Olive tree in a pot.
Over a normal winter I would expect to leave it outside, but long term
harsh conditions may not suit it.

The guy was probably referring to the announcement by metcheck.com. I read
their follow-up blurb and actually it was only a degree or so colder than
recent years so even if they're right it's nothing to worry about.
I'd bring the olive in now. The heat won't hurt it but the cold probably

wouldn't either. I think it's the wet which does it. I put mine in my
unheated greenhouse over winter here in Cheshire and it's been fine so far
despite dropping to a few degrees below zero a number of times.
Martin & Anna Sykes

I said exactly the same to my friends when they asked me if their trees (large
ones left over from an exhibition) would survive outside. They don't have room
to bring them in except up three narrow steep flights of stairs.

I told them out the wet probably being the worst enemy. I was round their house
last week and noticed they've covered the top of the pots with plastic to keep
the rain out !

Will this work? They are in the inner city in a courtyard so might be OK ?

Jenny