Old 10-11-2004, 11:28 PM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
i was told that before the berk went on tv to make money telling
others how and what to grow he was supposed to have said"i know
nothing about growing anything but i'm going to make money out of
telling others what to do", guess he probably made his money by now
huh?

I think they estimated he took home $8 million last year alone. But
I'm not critical of Burkie, I liked the variety in his tv program.
Yet I can't overlook the fact that his much touted "Burkes Backyard
Tomatoes" were a monumental flop according to all reports. Didn't
grow well, didn't bear well, lacked taste. They disappeared off the
nursery shelves and were never mentioned again, AFAIR.

Len, you might not know that Don Burke had a 3-hour gardening program
on the radio on Sat and Sun here in Sydney for quite a few years before
he moved over to television. The program has continued on, with a name
change and in the capable hands of Shirley Stackhouse. Its format is
that listeners ring in and ask questions about their plant's malaise,
typically. It would be difficult to bluff your way through that year
after year, with other listeners ready to ring in and set him right if
he was ever heard to make a wrong call.