Old 11-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Larry

"willshak" wrote in message
Merle O'Broham wrote:

So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

I mix the separate tool mixtures and keep each in a gallon milk
container in the shed. I use a permanent marker to write the mixture
ratio, # of ounces of oil per gallon, and what tool it goes with, on the
container.
To get the proper mixture of oil per gallon of gas, divide 128 (# of
ounces in a gallon) by ratio.
i.e. 128 / 40 = 3.2, so a 40:1 ratio needs 3.2 oz. of oil.
Other ratios:
25:1 = 5.1 oz per gallon.
50:1 = 2.5 oz per gal.

After spending a few moments to compute all my proper ratios, I made a
'guide sheet' in Word and posted it in my shed (right by my gas cans).
It goes like:

Weedeater XX oz to five gallons
Outboard XX oz to six gallons
etc

That way I add the exact amount and don't score a cylinder because I screwed
up the mix.

Additional note: I add the oil first, a little gas, slosh around real good
and top off with gas.

Larry