Old 11-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Ray

The household Elmer's glue is casein-based (milk) and is water soluble, but
the dissolution is very slow unless immersed.

According to a few of my customers, if applied to a mount and the plant is
held in place until it dries thoroughly, it will do quite a decent job
holding the plant in place until the roots take over the job. If the glue
stays wet, let's say due to water trapped between the plant and the mount,
it will dissolve faster, but if it gets wet then dries quickly, it should
not be a problem.

Personally, I take the quick way out and spread coconut husk fiber over the
roots and use a staple gun to attach the periphery of the "net" to the
mount. Once the plant is established, the staples are really easy to remove

..
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
I've not seen any reference to which Elmer's Glue people are talking
about.
There are Elmer's for school, probably dissolves in water, Elmer's for
woodworking, doesn't dissolve easily if at all (don't let it dry on your
clothes), an Elmer's for offices and an Elmer's for woodworking thats
polyurethane that I know nothing about.

In short, check out which glue your going to use and its qualities first.
Maybe those who have used Elmer's could tell which Emler's has worked for
them.

Bob

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message

link.net...
The reason why Liquid Nails is mentioned is that it is not toxic to

orchids,
as are some other glues (don't ask: I don't have a list!). Elmer's

Glue is
also okay with orchids.

Will Elmer's hold up to moisture?

J. Del Col