Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Cereus-validus...

It could any one of a number of Acacia or Acacia relatives. The seedling is
a bit etiolated and with atypical juvenile foliage.

He never said where he got his "cactus" which is actually a Euphorbia.

BTW, you can't graft Fabaceae onto Euphorbia.

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
"Cereus-validus." wrote in
om:

"Roger Whitehead" wrote in message
In article , Bernhard Kuemel wrote:
We have an unknown plant growing with our cactus. Can you id
it?

Looks like a Mimosa (mimosa pudica). Do the leaves curl up when
you touch them?

Roger

You lack imagination, Roger.

Its already too big to be Mimosa pudica and the bipinnate foliage
is too large.

Like I already said, the weed is some sort of Acacia. The
bipinnate foliage is the juvenille form.

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/acacia.html

Also the other plant is not a cactus. Its a Euphorbia.

Doesn't look like any of the acacias I have seen around here. They
tend to be rather spiny. Of course, there are many Acacias that
aren't.

The poster is in Austria, so I wouldn't expect any of the Australian
Wattles, but if the plant was obtained from a nursery (prolly, it is
grafted), who knows what may have been growing there to drop seeds
into their stock.

To me it looks like Silk Tree, Albizzia julibrissin.

http://www.vialattea.net/esperti/bio/mimosa/

But it may be a Caesalpinia as well.

Sean