Old 11-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| Going onto someone's land unbidden is trespass. It only becomes a crime
| if damage is done or if the trespass is committed with unlawful intent,
| and is now, I believe, called 'aggravated trespass'.

Sigh. No. Merely entering and not doing damage is not trespass,
and you may even have a right to do so. There are both statutory
and common law rights to enter other people's property, though
collecting balls is not one of them.

Doing damage is NOT a crime, but a civil offence, and it is the
combination of entering without permission and doing damage that
is trespass.

The Game Laws, Criminal Justice and Public Order Act and others
make certain types of trespass crimes, but that is another matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.