Old 11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
simy1

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...
EV said:

But back to the Brandywines, if you're still with me on this ramble
through the tomatoes. The ones that ripened in the summer were huge,
sweet, and flavourful ... though maybe a bit too juicy and mushy
textured. I wonder if that wasn't from having such a wet season.

They've always been too mushy-textured for me, every time I tried them
(or similar strains). Dry summer or wet, very soft. The yellow brandywine
are a tad less mushy and still very flavorful but prone to cracking and
spoiling quickly. I prefer firmer tomatoes. And I like them to have a bit
of "zing."

There wouldn't be so many different varieties of tomatoes if we didn't have
different tastes (and different climates).

By now I have tried four different packets of brandywines, and only
the first was the truly perfect tomato. Not firm, but not nearly as
mushy and the other three (I suppose I like them medium). The first
was from Territorial, huge, off-red fruits with, well, brandywine
flavor, and also more resistant to cracking and having white zones.
But the fourth also was from Territorial and is similar to #2 and #3,
so I may have lost that strain for good. I should have saved the
seeds...