Old 11-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Phil L

Default filling greenhouses

I've got two greenhouses, one glass, one polycarbonate, the glass one is
partiall taken up with stuff which I want to leave in there(stuff that
doesn't really belong in a greenhouse but I've nowhere else to put it yet!)
but has quite a large area for planting which I'm going to utitlise next
year.
The poly-c is completely empty and both are quite big.
The trouble I'm having or expecting to have is, what do I grow in them? -
there's only two of us and we both like tomatoes but not 2 GH's full!..I'm
planning on chilli peppers which I've already got established but didn't
fruit this year because they can be dried and stored easily enough as can
toms in the freezer...we don't like cucumber much...what else is there?
In the glasshouse I'll easily have enough space for a dozen tomato plants
and the chillis can go inbetween which leaves a complete GH free...what to
do?

Any suggestions wellcome, also what type of tomatoes? - I've got some seeds
which are about five years out of date, is it worth bothering with them? -
they've been in a biscuit tin and there's about a hundred packets of
unopened seeds of all varieties.

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags, will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil? - I'm a novice to
all this and only started bothering with the garden in June of this year.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004