Old 12-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Merle O'Broham

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message ...
"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
om...
So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

I just mix one batch - to the richest ratio - and use it in all my 2 cycle
engines (two mini-tillers, four chain saws, water pump) - and actually I
usually mix it richer than the stated ratio - I never buy the manufacturers
expensive small oil bottles , just get quart bottles from major oil
companies and measure out 3 ounces in a few small glass jars - and I only
approximate the amount of gas I mix it with. Haven't blown an engine yet
(knock on wood).
When I ran the old 2 cycle Saabs and snowmobiles I bought the oil in a small
barrel (can't remember wether it was 16 or 20 gallon) but it seemed to gel
after a couple years even though manufacturers claim there is no shelf life.

Thanks to all the above posters. Y'know, I haven't seen anything
larger than the little (what are they 2 oz?) bottles of the mix that
says to mix with a gallon of gas. I like the idea of running a bit
richer mixture just so I don't need 3 or 4 seperate little red plastic
gas containers. As an aside, squirrels chewed through a wooden window
pane in my garage thinking they're gonna winter down inside and have
started eating the yellow plastic pouring spout on one of those
containers! Gas tastes good to squirrels?