Old 12-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Dwayne said:

There has been a recipe come up on this newsgroup several times for a
mixture that can be sprayed on your garden to discourage raccoons, and
hopefully possums and squirrels from eating grapes, and fruit from off the
plants. I had never been bothered by any of them so I didn't copy it. Now
a friend of mine has the problem with his grapes.

Whatever it is, you would have to be able to *easily* wash it off, otherwise
it would discourage *you* from eating them.

What discourages racoons and 'possums and the like in my yard is a fence
with small openings and a couple of electrified wires on top.

Where I used to live I had a nice peach tree -- they don't like the sandy soil
here -- and I protected that with a 'cage' of plastic bird netting with a radio
running all night (on a talk station). I later replace the bird netting with
'panels' of chicken wire. These were made with two 8-foot 1x2 boards
which had 48-inch wide 1" hex mesh stapled to them such that about 18 inches
of wire extended beyond each end ot the boards. These panels were tied together
with wire extending out along the ground at the bottom and curling outward at
the top. (Metal fence stakes were temporarily driven in to prop up the wire
panels.) Never had them breached by racoons, and they lasted for many
years.

(attributed to Don Marti)