Old 12-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Gordon" wrote in message
My pepper crop this year was destroyed by earwigs. Instead of composting
the plants I left them in a pile at the end of the season. My intention is
to burn them all but the only place I have to use is my vegetable plot.
Would it be safe to have a small fire here or would it in some way destroy
the quality of the top soil?

Gordon

A bonfire will sterilise the local soil in the very short term, but it will
recover quickly especially if you dig it over soon afterwards. Do not be
tempted to start it with oil or petrol though as unburned residues can
damage the soil and leech elsewhere. Also, don't be tempted to burn
non-organic rubbish there, especially plastic, as this can also cause
poisoning.
The most significant risk is burning yourself, so don't lean too far over
it!