Old 12-11-2004, 12:57 PM
jay jay jay jay is offline
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gray
Hi Phil.

snipped

In the glasshouse I'll easily have enough space for a dozen tomato plants
and the chillis can go inbetween which leaves a complete GH free...what to
do?

It depends on what you like, if it's summer bedding, then you can start them
off in the greenhouse. Early salad crops - radish, lettuce, spring onion,
bell peppers etc. A grape vine?

Any suggestions wellcome, also what type of tomatoes? - I've got some

seeds
which are about five years out of date, is it worth bothering with them? -
they've been in a biscuit tin and there's about a hundred packets of
unopened seeds of all varieties.

Tomato seeds should be viable for 10 years or more, so I'm pretty sure
you'll be ok. As to what varieties, again it depends on what you like,
cherry, beefsteak, plum etc. Why not grow a few of each, although IMO make
sure that you plant Gardener's Delight - my favourite.

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags,

will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will

be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which

won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil? - I'm a novice

all this and only started bothering with the garden in June of this year.

It's a good idea to disinfect the greenhouse, particularly if it's not been
used in a while. Although I don't think the Ministry allow the use of jeyes
fluid in the garden anymore (but if you don't tell anyone, nor will I).
Plants in a greenhouse, whether in growbags or planted directly in the soil,
will need similar amounts of water. As to the fertility of the soil, whilst
it might be fertile enough for nettles, it won't do any harm to dig in some
compost.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk
If I had a greenhouse I would grow lots of basil to go with all the tomatoes.