Old 12-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I really must get my books out of store - I'm pretty sure I've
remembered correctly, though I freely admit that ICBW.

If it's any consolation, I thought you were right and am busy trying
to sort my memories out :-)
I have an excuse I was only 6 in January 1947.

So was I, but in April 1948 I was 8...

I do remember going to
school by tram and bus in Leeds right through that winter. I can't
believe anybody would let a 6 year old do the same by themselves
nowadays.

I walked about two miles to school then - or it's possible I was back at
boarding school. Nah. If I was at boarding school I couldn't have been
at home - unless Easter was late that year. (I went to boarding school
aged four, 'cos my father had been killed during the war and my mother
was training as a physioterrorist. Then I went back to the same school
for a time, but I can't remember exactly when, except that I was six.)

There was also a very hot summer around the same time. Was
it in 1946 or 1947?

I think that was 1946, though that might have been rose-tinted
speedwells in the immediate post-war euphonium.

Over to Franz for a more mature recollection :-)

If we are wrong at what point did we start naming winters after the
year that December occurred in?

I don't think we ever did.

--
Rusty