Old 12-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Joanne

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

| Trespass to land occurs where a person directly enters upon
| another's land without permission, or remains upon the land, or places

or projects

| I have never in my life given any postman permission to enter my
| property. Does that mean I can sue him for trespass next time he
| places an object like a pile of junk mail on my land?

Trespass is not a criminal offence. It's a civil offence. You cannot be
prosecuted for trespass, nor can you be sued for trespass unless you have
caused damage or loss. There is an implied permission to walk up a driveway
and knock on a front door, however if you're asked to leave and you refuse,
then you become a trespasser and the homeowner may use reasonable force to
move you.