Old 12-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Nick
Gray writes
Hi Phil.

snipped

In the glasshouse I'll easily have enough space for a dozen tomato plants
and the chillis can go inbetween which leaves a complete GH free...what to
do?

It depends on what you like, if it's summer bedding, then you can start them
off in the greenhouse. Early salad crops - radish, lettuce, spring onion,
bell peppers etc. A grape vine?

Climbing French beans do well in a GH - even if you grow them outside.
you can get a much earlier crop in GH as well.

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags,

will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will

be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which

won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil?

It's a good idea to disinfect the greenhouse, particularly if it's not been
used in a while.

I'm unconvinced about the usefulness of disinfecting a GH, neither of
ours have been in the last 5-7 years and it hasn't caused any problems.

Plants in a greenhouse, whether in growbags or planted directly in the soil,
will need similar amounts of water.

On no they won't , or rather the plants themselves might require a
similar amount but you will have to water those in growbags much more
often - because the volume of compost in bag is very small esp. if
used for 2-3 plants. Soil beds in GH have access to a much greater
water reservoir so dry out much slower, for one thing so need much less
frequent watering. The soil beds we have were watered about every 10
days -2 weeks, the stuff in pots in the other GH would need watering up
to everyday (depending on pots, weather etc.)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: