Old 12-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:20:43 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Some anorak has devoted a website to the cold winter of *not*

1947
http://www.winter1947.co.uk/

If the owner of this website is correct, Rusty has false memory
syndrome The owner of this website thinks the cold winter started

at
the end of January 1947. If he is wrong he has an enormous number

of
"47"s to retype.

I really must get my books out of store - I'm pretty sure I've
remembered correctly, though I freely admit that ICBW.

If it's any consolation, I thought you were right and am busy trying
to sort my memories out :-)
I have an excuse I was only 6 in January 1947. I do remember going

school by tram and bus in Leeds right through that winter. I can't
believe anybody would let a 6 year old do the same by themselves
nowadays. There was also a very hot summer around the same time. Was
it in 1946 or 1947?

Over to Franz for a more mature recollection :-)

I immigrated to England on 6 April 1947 and experienced only the tail
end of that winter in Manchester.

If we are wrong at what point did we start naming winters after the
year that December occurred in?
--
Martin