Old 12-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Pimentos do quite well, and I've seen aubergines which have been
moderately successful.

Aubergines are possible in a greenhouse, some melons are too with luck.

While chillis will do better in a greenhouse, they do very well in pots
in a sunny position: mine are still producing. I have to bring them in
if there is any fear of frost, but otherwise they remain outside.
(Likewise the lemon trees.)

??? What latitude are you at.

Well north of Watford Gap...

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/chilli2.jpg

My chillies and peppers were grown under glass this year and I still
haven't managed to get any ripe thanks to the miserable summer weather.
Looks now like the frost will get them first.

Can't stop mine. Try jalapino next time, or I'll send you some seeds if
you like. You can work out my emu in the sig.

The peppers actually did better than the chillies.

You could try a pomegranate - they are almost hardy, and you'll be
amazed at the difference between one which has ripened on the tree/shrub
and the weak, watery things you get in the shops. (They should split,
revealing a rich ruby interior - drool!)

They grow OK in the S of France. I don't think I have ever seen one
ripen properly outside in the UK.

They will (allegedly) under glass. I've planted a tray of pips - just to try.

/snip/

--
Rusty
horrid(point)squeak[at]zetnet(point)co(point)uk