Old 12-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Spider
writes

will wrote in message
Thanks to v. helpful respondents so far

It's a front garden facing east, so will get some morning sun. Also the
crown of the tree has been lifted so it's not completely overwhelming. But
yes, I need ideas for dry shade.

I am also keen to encourage other wildlife (my equally small but sunny

back
garden will be planted for bees and butterflies - tips also welcome here).
So yes, I will have a log pile and perhaps a 'creature tower'

I'm making similar provision in my garden for birds and other wildlife, and
I love the sound of your creature tower. I've been planning one, too.

I just have a wood pile round the back of the garage.

In my garden, the following are successful plants:
Pyracantha: Bees and insects love the flowers; birds love the berries,
and the secure nesting site. Alternative food plant for Holly Blue
butterfly.
Mahonia: Early bees visit the flowers; tits also visit the flowers
to take nectar (yes, really!) and the subsequent berries.
Hawthorn: Very good all round provider for insects and birds.
Buddleia: Good for butterflies, bees and hoverflies. Presumably, also
good for bird seed, judging by the number of freebie shrubs everywhere!
Rowan: Good all rounder, but probably too big for your site.
Malus: ............. ditto ...............
Ivy: (I think you've listed this) Food plant of the Holly Blue
butterfly. Flowers good for bees and insects. Berries great for birds.
Holly: ................
ditto ........................
Elderberry: Good all rounder.

Of these elderberry is the only one I would not recommend unless it is a
pretty big garden or a variegate cultivar. Either way the birds will
plant seeds and purple splodges everywhere.

Sedum spectabile is good for late summer flowers and nectar.

Large sunflowers are also pretty easy to grow and do well in full sun
rich soil. Birds love the seed heads. Also teasels if you have space.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown