Old 12-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Phisherman

For the past several days hundreds of them are seen crawling on the
side of the house, peaking in the afternoon. Some get inside, then
collect around the windows where they are vacuumed up using the
crevice attachment. They hunker down when threatened which makes it
difficult to pick them up by hand. If you crush them they can stain
walls, clothes, even your skin. The other day I saw my neighbor
spraying his house with insecticide, while another hosed down his
house with a garden hose. Another told me he has not been using his
deck due to the ladybugs. And yes, I've gotten bitten when they
crawl inside the shirt. On closer inspection, I noticed that there
are several varieties with a different number of spots, although I
have not seen any 2-spot nor no-spot species. In the summertime they
do seem to like the Rose-of-Sharon where the aphids are plenty. Kids
call them "pumpkin bugs." In a week or two they will be gone. But
this fall it looks like there is the largest invasion of ladybugs than
I can remember.