Old 13-11-2004, 03:50 AM
Alan Walker

All the passion about how to handle the announcement of a
new program to handle bonsai information got me thinking and
triggered an idea. There is quite a variety of bonsai software
out there in various formats. Some are written for Palm OS and
others for Windows or Mac. Probably most of us have considered
such a program and might have even purchased or downloaded one or
two. A few are even using them! ;-)
My idea is that I would like to have an evaluative report
which compares and contrasts the pros and cons of these programs.
Right now I don't really know which, if any, are worthwhile. I
know it is not so hard to build your own, as Jim has often
suggested, but some of us aren't that knowledgeable or motivated
and prefer a tried and tested tool over our own clumsy effort.
Are there some of you IBCers who would contribute to the
development of such a report? We need to know:
What is available?
What OS will operate it?
What features and functions does it have?
To what degree is it customizable?
How much space does it consume?
How much data will it store?
What kind of data will it store?
How easy is it to learn?
How easy is it to use?
I'm sure you can think of some other variables to
consider. I think everyone can contribute to it, but then some
"experts" need to evaluate it from technological, horticultural,
and artistic perspectives.
Can we have it for Christmas?!?!

Alan Walker

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++