Old 13-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
"Cereus-validus..." wrote:

Snakes are carnivores that eat by swallowing their prey whole. They are
unable to drink by suction. The milk probably attracts snakes indirectly by
attracting their prey.

Most snakes drink fairly often, and some can drink quickly. Suction
appears to be involved in the initial stages of the process. I wouldn't
put it past the average dehydrated snake to drink fresh milk if that was
all that was available. And I wouldn't be surprised if some acquired a
taste for it.

BTW, there are no vegetarian snakes either.

Yep. Some eat eggs.

"Cynthia Donahey" wrote in message

In an old book on Indian gardening, there was a brief reference to leaving
a bowl of milk out for cobras. It seem to be partially religious,
partially blackmail. Has anyone (in areas where there are snakes) done
this or heard anything about this?

Can all snakes drink milk?