Old 07-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Katra

In article ,
(Ed Stuart) wrote:

Hi,

I have a rosemary plant that I have brought in that needs transplanted
into a larger pot. At the same time, I want to replace the soil. How
do I replace the soil around the roots without killing the plant?

Thanx,
Ed Stuart

Very carefully... and even then it's risky to do that to any woody
perrenial. ;-)

If I feel it needs to be done, I cross my fingers and gently shake the
soil from the root system and if I want to remove even more, I'll rinse
it under a gentle stream of water. You want to do as little root damage
as possible.

Personally, I don't bother with soil replacement unless I feel the soil
has too much mineral or nitrogen buildup and has become toxic. I
generally just loosen the root ball a bit to ease the roots transition
into the new soil.

Good luck!

K.

--