Old 11-11-2004, 05:52 AM
sherwindu

Try putting mesh nets around your pears. It will certainly deter the squirrels, and
possibly stop them. If they are really hungry, they might chew through them, but I
find the technique helps a lot.

Sherwin D.

Hassen bin Lai wrote:

(Pen) wrote in message om...
I've got 2 Shandong pears, they've done very well in zone 5, Ontario.
I haven't been able to find asian pears at nurseries either which is
an odd thing given how low maintenance they are. You may have contact
Agriculture Canada (
http://www.agr.gc.ca/) before ordering from US.
Or, take a chance and sprout some from seeds...

Perhaps you can offer him some leave buds from your trees. It's much
faster than seeds. Years ago I was able to bud graft a few on young
ornamental pears. As far as I know they are still bearing. I have no
luck myself because squirrels get every last one before they reach
golf ball size.