Old 13-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Mike

Default My phalaenopsis is producing a spike (i think)

Great news!

My phalaenopsis is producing a spike! Or at least I think it's
producing a spike.

I thought that the new spike would emerge from the bottom of the
plant, around where the previous year's spike emerged from.
Previously, what I thought were two new spikes turned out to be two
new roots.

Today when I looked closely at the plant, I saw that a node is
beginning to grow out from the inside base of a leaf much higher up on
the plant. It actually skipped 2 leaves that had never produced a
spike from their bases. The plant grew three new leaves since I bought
it (when it was in spike).

Is there a pattern for new leaves and where the new spike will emerge?

I guess my cold treatments to the plant helped to get it going. Do I
need to continue the cold treatments to perhaps get it to produce a
second spike, or is one all that I'm going to get out of it?

Do I need to do anything special to help the spike grow and hopefully
branch lots of times? Lighting?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.usenet.com