Old 14-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Aaron

Again Thank you to all that offered helped. I've learned to examin
fruit from the supermarket before I eat it. The last bunch of apples
had four caterpillars around the stem deep in the depression. I never
expected to see evidence of the pests that attack apples after they
have been processed and packed for market, but I was wrong.

Aaron

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:15:06 GMT, Sean Houtman
wrote:

Aaron wrote in
:

Hello,

I went back and looked at other apples. I am sure that what I
asked about is not theremainder of the flower parts. I recognized
these. I am now sure that what I observed was a fungus or other
infestation. It was very slight but I saw it at both the stem and
flower ends. At the flower end the unknown material wa outside of
the flower parts and onto the skin of the apple.

Does this help in further identification. The round bodies were
sherical (not oblong), bright red and irregularly spaced. The
red objects were surrounded by a white filamentous material.

The filamentous material is just some of the tomentum, or matted
hairs that you get on apples, pears, and quince.

Sean