Old 14-11-2004, 09:36 AM
June Hughes

In message , Kay
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
Hi everyone. Long time, no post. I hope you are all well.

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

Yes.
It will also shed all the small figs that are on it atm. They have two
generations of figs a year, and in this country only the earlier
generation will ripen.

Great. Thanks Kay. That sounds about right for my fig. It has small
buds at the ends of the branches but I didn't want them to drop off as
well as the leaves. You have put my mind at rest.

I bought it on the local farmers' market, which is now sadly defunct due
to lack of support and have no way of knowing whether or not what the
supplier told me was correct. I don't suppose you know whether or not
it should remain in its pot?

Many thanks again.
--
June Hughes