Old 14-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

Yes. And, in hot, dry parts of the world, they may do so in summer.

Also, is it right to leave it in the pot (the pot is huge - about the
size of one of those large buckets with rope handles)?

Yes. Try and avoid the pot freezing or staying waterlogged, but that
is all.

I would hate to think I have killed it off and the RHS books I have
don't seem to contain any information at all.

The number of books that contain a practical overview is small.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.