Old 14-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Great. Thanks Kay. That sounds about right for my fig. It has small
buds at the ends of the branches but I didn't want them to drop off as
well as the leaves. You have put my mind at rest.

I bought it on the local farmers' market, which is now sadly defunct due
to lack of support and have no way of knowing whether or not what the
supplier told me was correct. I don't suppose you know whether or not
it should remain in its pot?

Leave it in its pot until it really outgrows it. Then, if you want to
plant it out, either put it a good distance from any expensive masonry
(fig trees grow enormous, eventually. I don't know about the liklihood
of damage to foundations, but they'll throw a long shadow.).

It is better to restrict it, and a good tip given here some time ago was
to dig a hole and into it put the stainless steel drum from an old
washing machine or tumble drier. Replace soil and plant it in that.
(I've buried an old bath, and my fig tree lives in it.)

Don't bother about removing green figs, they will fall of of their own
accord - or go on in the summer to better things if the winter isn't too
hard.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/