Old 14-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Rob Halgren

GARLAND HANSON wrote:

I have several plants in bloom that I'm told are award quality but I'm not
particularly interested in traveling to one of the regional judging centers
that are 3 hours away.

I read that you can mail plants or cut flowers to a designated individual
and they will be judged at the next session.

Has anyone had any luck mailing cut flowers and receiving awards? It seems
that the whole plant would have a better impact on the judging team.

Thoughts?

Garland

We don't see it that often. Especially in the last few years, as it
seems that judging centers have proliferated faster than red states, so
there is less of a geographic barrier. But it is explicitly permitted,
and we'd be happy to look at them. Of course you don't get the flowers
back... Better to send the inflorescence rather than the whole plant
(it would ship better, and cheaper, if nothing else).

There may be an effect on the judging team, but I suspect it
wouldn't be that negative. If you submit cut material, be sure to send
the entire inflorescence (not a single flower from a phal, for
example). We judge the inflorescence as a whole.

If you wanted to FedEx your plants or blooms to me, I can take them
to our judging this coming Saturday (Nov 20). Alternatively, if you get
a copy of AQ, there is a list of judging centers and dates in there, as
well as information about who to send the material to.

Thanks for bringing up an option that most people don't think
about (or know about - even many judges, I suspect).

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )