Old 14-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message m
from "Jon" contains these words:

I just bought a house with raspberry canes planted in the back yard.
I would like to prune and properly maintain them for next year, but I don't
know which variety they are.
How can I tell whether they are summer bearing or autumn bearing canes?

Simply by pruning you can treat many varieties either as summer or
autumn-fruiting.

If some of the canes look old, (greyer, whereas the new ones should be a
caramel colour) and have branches, these have fruited and can safely be
cut down - just so long as there are at least as many straight (FDVO
straight) canes without branches.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/