Old 14-11-2004, 10:12 PM
David

Thanks for the suggestions, every-one. Funny thing is I've already got some
of the suggested shrubs in my garden, Photinia fraseri (red robin) is
growing well in a sunny spot, although it tends to drop it's leaves somewhat
during the winter. Also the laurel, again I've got several, all self seeded
(goodness knows where they've come from)....these I've transplanted and
brought on. I haven't got any variegated ones though so I think I'll try one
of these. The phormiums would give a "wow" factor, although my books tend to
suggest that they need winter protection?

Today I managed to get a mahonia (media charity) and a pachysandra for
ground cover. I'm also thinking of some periwinkle for ground cover
also.....any views on whether they will be invasive? Finally my local
nursery convinced me that a fatsia japonica which they sold me should
withstand the winter, hopefully as they have grown them they will be right,
anyways I've kept the receipt! I've also purchased various dogwoods for
another bed (next to a conifer hedge).
Only problem was that by the time I'd got back home it was too dark to

thanks again,

David