Old 14-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Sacha

On 14/11/04 22:32, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[snip]

Today I managed to get a mahonia (media charity) and a pachysandra

for
ground cover. I'm also thinking of some periwinkle for ground cover
also.....any views on whether they will be invasive?

Periwinkle is very, very invasive.

I hope the OP will get a Sarcococca and enjoy that totally wonderful winter
scent. Geranium palmatum will take dry shade and we've had it white with
frost here and still had that wonderful zinging green foliage later. I
don't know if it would still be okay so far north but it might be worth
trying one plant to see how it goes. I've heard someone say they've seen it
survive down to -11 or so. We think it's a very under-used plant.
Vincas are lovely but I agree with Franz, they can be invasive if you don't
keep a careful eye on them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk