Old 15-11-2004, 04:26 PM
wendy7

Hi Mike, I can't give you any tips on growing phals, I don't grow them well?
As far as your question about anything else to do, my mentor stakes
his spikes when they are about 6" long to keep them growing straight
up.
He said it makes for a better display & the plant is more secure
with the weight of the flowers.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Mike wrote:
Great news!

My phalaenopsis is producing a spike! Or at least I think it's
producing a spike.

I thought that the new spike would emerge from the bottom of the
plant, around where the previous year's spike emerged from.
Previously, what I thought were two new spikes turned out to be two
new roots.

Today when I looked closely at the plant, I saw that a node is
beginning to grow out from the inside base of a leaf much higher up on
the plant. It actually skipped 2 leaves that had never produced a
spike from their bases. The plant grew three new leaves since I bought
it (when it was in spike).

Is there a pattern for new leaves and where the new spike will emerge?

I guess my cold treatments to the plant helped to get it going. Do I
need to continue the cold treatments to perhaps get it to produce a
second spike, or is one all that I'm going to get out of it?

Do I need to do anything special to help the spike grow and hopefully
branch lots of times? Lighting?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.usenet.com